At long last, my post about the glorious day spent at the Renaissance Festival. These are the dresses/accessories I've spent so much time working on. I love how they turned out, and will be making some adjustments for the next time I wear the dress (Ward trunk or treat and Halloween, well at least until the next Renfest!).Lessons learned from the faire:
- When you dress the part, people might think you work there
- Some pirates don't like finely dressed ladies
- Look for pointy ears on fairies (they're everywhere and you can buy them)
- Don't sit in the front row at the joust, you'll get splattered with mud
- Use lots of napkins when eating bratwurst and sauerkraut
- Drink TONS of water during the day (so you don't get a killer headache by day's end)
- Practice the curtsy and head nod before you you go - and practice while walking
- Get used to hearing "M'lady"
- Be prepared to have lots of people ask you for your picture
- If you volunteer to be in a comedy act, you might have knives thrown within inches of your self (just ask Lester)
- Don't try to make your 2 year old wear a hoop skirt, it will end up as a stroller decoration
- Leave some breathing room when you tighten your corset
- If someone tells you (when you're dressed like this) that you look like Cleopatra, just remember you're in the south (as long as you live here...otherwise well, yikes!)
- Go to the bathroom before getting completely dressed - big dresses and port-a-pots don't go well together
- Too many people smoke at the faire
- Check out all the vendor's clothes for sale and you might see a skirt made out of the same fabric as your dress
- Know what the "privies" are and where to find them
- Stay away from the incense vendors - the smell is overpowering
- If the Queen leans in to "kiss the air" remember to "kiss" both sides of her cheek
- When the Queen and Princess invite you to be guests of honor at the final joust of the day, say yes (we did and it was amazing!)
We're looking forward to going to the next fair in March. Here's a couple more pictures, tomorrow I'll make a slide show of all the rest.







14 comments:
I am so far behind in the Land of Gebski!! 1. I am so glad Madison enjoyed "bal-lay". 2. I personally love Halloween for Reese's Peanut butter cups. 3. You are an amazing seamstress!!! Holy cow girl!! Those dresses are gorgeous!!! Can't wait for the slide show. You have a major talent!!!
Two words for you: Gor Jus! Amazing! I'm glad you had a great time!
you look amazing! and so happy! It looks like lots of fun and you have got to call and tell me all the details. That is great sewing
WILL YOU BE MY MOM!!!!!
Your dresses are beautiful!!! You did a great job!!! Looks like you had fun!
You both look amazing, Dani. I showed Chris the pics, and said, "Look what Dani made!" He stared for a while, then said "Wow!" He and I are both very impressed. Puts my sad little werewolf costume I made Nicholas to shame.
WOO WOOO!! Look how 'saxy'(What move is that from?) you look! And Maddie of course just beautiful. My life is carzy so I'm combining my comments.
You've become quite the seemstress, I'm impressed!
Candy corn and peanuts way good, had some a couple weeks ago in my pre-halloween excitement.
I too confess to love Bal-lay...I just wish tutu's didn't look so funny on me.
Finally, I'm glad you back!!
A-MAZE-ING! Wow, those dresses are stunning! No wonder the queen wanted to be your friend! Great job!
WOW WOW WOW- I'm so impressed. Great job! I went to a mideval dinner party (the one where there is a murder and everyone acts a part) where John and I were the King and Queen...i had such a hard time finding anything and then rented something that was okay...but I would have LOVED to have had your costume! Beautiful!
Your costumes turned out AMAZING! You really did a great job! It was fun seeing you in your costumes at the Halloween party.
How the heck did you construct such a specimen, pray tell!
Wish we lived closer so we could frolic together, I love how into you are! Awesome, just gorgeous!
I love that you had such fun playing the part. I loved your dresses too! And to think I'm feeling intimidated about having to cut an old sheet into a ghost costume for my very forgiving (thank goodness) 3 year old. Is this a talent you developed since I knew you best?
Wow! I had no idea you could sew like that. Absolutely beautiful! Was this your first Renaissance Fair, or have you been doing them for awhile? How did you find out about it?
Wow! your dresses are amazing. It looks like tons of fun!!!
Post a Comment