CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Four Letter Words, Gardens, In a "Jam," and Disney Withdrawals

I have a favorite four letter word, and although it ranks up there with "love" and "kids" it just happens to be another one....I know what you're thinking, and no, how could you think that??! It's

**FREE**

I was returning a book to a friend last Sunday after church and happened upon a pile of plastic on the curb. I couldn't resist checking it out and although it was dirty, wet (nice big thunderstorm), a temporary ant residence, I tossed it in the truck and brought it home. A little water, some scrubbing, ant removal and voila:
It isn't perfect, and a dog had a little chew party on a couple corners, but hey I didn't pay a cent for it and Madison has a ball in it!

My garden is flourishing -- here is a picture of the "first fruits" of the garden...
Since then I've had bowls of cherry tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers and squash. We're loving it!

We also found ourselves in different kind of garden - a blueberry farm. One morning I saw a blurb in the paper about picking your own berries at a farm nearby and went that day with friends. We went back again a week later and picked twice as many -- how can you resist when they are so delicious and only $0.98 a pound??













I was in a "jam" this week as well. It just so happens that our Bishop and his wife have many fruit trees in their yard and needed some help using all the fruit. We went and picked and came home with two kinds of pears, figs, apples and plums. I already made some raspberry fig jam and will be making plum jam too.
As far as Disney withdrawals -- the picture speaks for itself. She wears it daily! 8:]


13 comments:

Sherrie

I wear my hat in secret all the time. When do you find time to make JAM?? We didn't do the garden this year, but hopefully next year again!

Dani

In between assisting Maddie to stop her high pitched screaming and tearing Corben away from the tv ;]

Dani

Oh, and she is NOT secret about it at all - she has to wear it when we go bike riding (her in the bike seat on the back) with the dog. She's a crack up!

FOX

You are such a good Mormon!!!! I have NO idea how to make jam. Do you think it is because I am a convert? Jam making is acquired through pioneer heritage?

Definite nice find on the play house!!! I like free stuff because then it takes the pressure off as far as how the kids destroy it!!!

Reed, Liz and the kids

reading this makes me want to cry. I miss you guys! Hope all is well. I am sad that i missed out on the great play house. Emily would be so jeleous if she knew.

Dani

This is a no cry post! ;] Where are you guys??? Have you made it to the new adventure zone??

Rachelle

Great job on the play house! Great finds like that are awesome! I love that you are so resourceful with the fruit and garden...I've tried to pay my friends to make me jam, bread, etc, but that only lasts for a while...I need to learn. I did learn once at a RS class, but alas, have forgotten most of what I learned....I know you need a big pot and the gel stuff...that's it!

Good job on being so great! I'm envious of your special wifely/motherly/superhero skills!
(psst...can you send me some?? LOL!)

FreyBoys

O.K., I want some of that jam and your fresh vegetables!!! Madison looks like such a big girl now. And those CURLS!!!! We miss y'all!!! Tell my Corben we said hello. Madison too and of course Lester Stanley!!

Cyd

Holy cow Dani! I was so shocked to see your post on my blog and so very excited to catch up with what's up in your life these days! I knew you had a little girl since the last time we were in contact and wow! she is so cute and I love her curls!

I spent some time reading your blog but couldn't figure out exactly where you guys are these days. I did gather that you will be in Newport News, VA come next summer. Is this right? We took a family vacation a couple of years ago to Williamsburg, Yorktown, and that whole area. I love how much you can learn about our heritage being in that area. That will be fun for you guys. I have thought about you a couple of times since moving to Henderson and wish that you were still here. We really like this new area we are in.

This is great to be able to keep in touch this way. I plan to visit your blog all the time now! I love to see you in your children's faces. They are so beautiful!

Sherrie

Rachelle-You are so funny!
Dani-The kiddies can wear the hat around proudly, but I'm...well...old.

Dani

That's why I wear my new silver mickey ear earrings 24/7 - it's almost as good as a pair of ears on my head 8;]

Kade and Emily

A) I feel the same way about the word "free." my personal saying is that "if it's free, it's for me."
B) I'm mighty jealous about your garden. I LOVE garden veggies.
C) How fun picking fruit and making yummy jams.
D) I have a mickey hat like that. Once upon a time I went on a date to disney land. I don't wear the hat everyday, though. Given my history with that boy, it would be really awkward around Kade.

Lester

I just hope in a few years Dani is not walking down the street with a shopping cart full of stuff she dumpster dived for. YEKKKKKKKKK