CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Wild kingdom, or should I say animal shelter?

...yes, I've done it again. Let me paint the picture for you; one fall day in 2007 after walking Corben to school, we happened upon a stray dog. The location of the school is on a busy thoroughfare and drivers go pretty fast. The fate of that beagle was certain death if I had let it go, as there are animals hit very frequently here in our city. I took in the stray dog, which neither had been house trained or any good manners to speak of. I thought I'd do a good turn and find the dogs home, since it obviously had one as it was wearing a nice collar. I drove the dog to a vet to check for a microchip (none -- highly recommended for all you pet lovers out there!!!) which was an adventure as the dog detested riding in a car. NEVER again I said! After 30+ signs and a few long days, the owners called and came and picked up the dog. Happy ending.

So fast forward to yesterday -- again after walking Corben to school, a little stray dog wandered up to my friend and I. I must say, this dog is a total opposite of the previous canine. Friendly, sweet and not aggressive. As sweet as she was, I couldn't think of her getting hit and she is mostly just skin and bones. She's still a puppy but my guess is at least 3-4 months old. No collar this time, and with lots of fleas and ticks (I was thrilled) so I'm almost certain she's been abandoned from the get-go. Corben thought it was a great present (HA!) and Madison wants to spend every waking moment with the pup--they want her to be here for good.... The shelters here in our area are bursting, and I would have a hard time taking her to the pound for a certain fate. I'm probably going to post some flyers just in case, but I doubt she has a family. Anyone looking for a canine to add to their family? ;] I'll keep you posted as to the outcome!

10 comments:

-KJ

Aw! She is so cute and scrappy! I think you better keep her!

Lester

KJ do not put any ideas in her head.

Sherrie

Seriously no one had to put the idea in her head. When's the last time you guys had a dog?? Dani the dog whisperer.

Dani

Thank you my friend Sherrita for sticking up for me! ;] It's been five years since we lost Sadie, but we still have our princess Sophie the world traveling cat *meow*.

FOX

Your funny!

I tell my kids if we got a dog we would have to get rid of one of them.

-KJ

HAHAHAAHA!
What? You don't want poop scattered all over you back lawn and dead spots everywhere? It is worth it for the smiles on your children's faces...hee hee.

Dani

KJ -- do you have a dog? ;]

Sherrie

Pashaw! Five years!?! Les you aren't taking care of Dani, c'mon! I can't believe Sophie, the orginal scared-ee cat, has managed through your different moves. We have a cat named Sophie too and she's our most skittish of the three, strange...

Kade and Emily

Fun for you! I'm sure the kids expect to keep him now! Do you have a name picked out? I have always wanted to name a dog "Barf" after the dog on Spaceballs.

FOX

Rainy likes your dog! She is sitting next to me. She REALLY wants one, but every time she obsesses about it, I buy her a new STUFFED one!!!

PS when I first clicked on this page she saw your daughter and yelled in excitement "is that Maddie?"

This totally freaked me out!!! But apparently there is a little girl on the bus named Maddie who looks like your Maddie.