Fast forward to a few months ago when I spied a beautiful table and chairs at Sams Club that I really liked, then saw one similar at a friend's house. I kept talking myself out of the set because I felt the kids would mistreat it and it would get scratched and ruined in short order but then I would think, no the table would be fine and it would just take on the distressed look. Well, I wanted my Mom to see the table and get her opinion, and she had the exact sentiment as Lester about getting something new - figures!! So yesterday, we saw it and I went back later and got it. We spent last night and this morning putting all the chairs (EIGHT of them and three "almost there blisters" to show for it) and the table together. It looks fabulous, and I'll just have to grin and bear any wear and tear from the children -- but then again, that's why they make plastic table cloths, placemats, and coasters ;]
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Overdue Upgrade
We've had our current kitchen table since we got married and prior to that, it had belonged to my Grandmother. It has seen much wear and tear and I really don't worry about it's condition since I know the children cannot harm it in any way short of setting it on fire. Having said that, I know that Lester would love to replace our practical table and "Lifetime" Costco chairs with something more up to date and preferably new.
Out with the old
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






18 comments:
Love it! Good for you!
One idea to protect the surface is to buy a tempered glass top for the table. I did that for our dining room set and I'm so happy I did. Look around for a glass shop and they'll come over and make a template of your table top and then make a piece of glass that will fit right over it. Then, you don't have to worry about scratches, nicks, etc.
True that, but what do you do with it when you want to take out the leaf and extend the table?? I'd worry that it might get broken and be very heavy?!
i love it! good choice
LUV IT! I had the same issue with my table and my kids have put a few scratches in it, but James left the spot bot on one of the chairs and it leaked and made the finish bubble and crack, my solution was to make seat covers. I used microfiber suede and it looks very good. I went one step further with the kids chairs and put a clear vinyl over the top. The microfiber washes right off with a clorox wipe. As far as your table top goes the kids with trash it and make it look distressed and when you're tired of that look (a few years down the road) have it refinished for a whole new look in your kitchen.
Sherrie do you also have plastic runners over the carpet and plastic on all the furniture like that commercial with the old folks (it's from a few years back)?
Les haven't you ever seen Everybody Loves Raymond? His mom's house resembles mine, every surface is covered in vinyl, we just hose it down after parties.
LOVE IT!!! It looks so great!
I say let the kids ONLY use IKEA forks. Our real damage has come from kids poking the table with the real stuff. Plastic is much more gentle. The distressed look is in, right? Hey, if it gets too bad, you can just put a coat of black glaze on the top to fill in those little marks. Genius.
Dani, it is beautiful!!!!!!
Hey Brandon is an expert if you still want fire to take out the old table!!!! JK
I think kids just add "individualized characteristics" that personalize and make it your own.
I wish I could visit and see it!!!!
I L.O.V.E. Ikea plastic forks! Definitely save on scratches.
Sherrie - ditto, I think that's why I have a separate drawer for the IKEA plasticware - I have soooo many! :)
Fox - our door is always open ;] And tell Brandoneous to hold of with the firestarter business, I decided to use our old table for an outdoor patio table. It's great!
KJ - If I have questions in a few years when I need to glaze, I'll know who to talk to ;]
Err, just because I had the idea doesn't mean I know how to do it! YOU are the crafty one my fiend. Yes, I meant to spell it that way.
Very nice!! Congratulations
Love the new table!! Distressed is always the best look anyways!! Thank you so much for supporting me!! You were my first donation!! I am going to plan a trip soon.
Oooooooo--very pretty! Good luck avoiding the distressed look. I think I finally gave up about 6 months ago.
Is it counter height? We are actually waiting for our glass to come and we Always have the leaf in...I also have 4 children so it makes sense.
It is counter height, I can't imagine having a pub height since it already seems tall to me. Was the glass costly?
I love it! I want one! We eat on the floor like dogs at our house.
mine is counter height and I love it! Our glass is free, Curtis has connections ;). That is why we don't have it yet because we are not a priority.
Post a Comment