CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 12, 2007

Always an Adventure

We decided a few weeks ago that for the Veterans Day Holiday, we'd like to venture outside our fine city and see the sights a little. Since the fall color here is gorgeous, we picked our destination as Asheville, NC. I must say, the color was spectacular (as you can see) and no we didn't fork over the $145 it would have cost to tour the Biltmore Estate...We saved that chunk of money and we'll just look at pictures of it :)

We found a company that rents cabins in and around Asheville, and found a little one that would fit the four of us comfortably. The Chestnut Cabinwas as close to a little mountain cabin as you can get. It was adorable! The only thing missing was the wood burning fireplace (it had a gas fireplace), but there were others burning in the area and you could catch that wonderful aroma the moment you stepped outside. A tour of the cabin:

The main living area, very cozy indeed (it even had wireless internet!)
Our bedroom - even had a down comforter...toasty, toasty!
The loft for the kids (watch your head)
The kitchen...all we had to bring was food.
The front porch...too cold this time, but if it were summer....ahhhh serenity!
A different view of the cabin, but shows the back gazebo with an outside fireplace, bbq and a fish pond.


So on to our adventures...... The first day, we got there in the afternoon and Maddie took a little nap. Lester and Corben went out for a walk up the "road" and were gone for over an hour I'd guess. Well, when they returned, Corben was soaked almost up to his knees, and his shoes were indistinguishable as shoes! Yes, that was the only pair I had brought for him. The "road" they travelled, was the creek behind the cabin.
They had a rock-hopping, splish-splashing good time. Moral of the story, I should have brought another pair of shoes. We left to go take a tour of the city and had to stop first at the local Sears and pick up a new pair of shoes! I guess that's one way to get new shoes. ;)

Saturday we ventured to Chimney Rock park and had fun going up and down more stairs than can be imagined. The views were worth it, and we definitely got our excercise! We took the elevator to the top, and the stairs down. We took a little side hike to a water fall and another little hike for Corben and Madison. They both loved it!
Wherever we go, adventure always finds us one way or another, this time, it was walking into Sears with a boy wearing only socks on his feet. Oh well, we'll never forget that! :)

9 comments:

-KJ

What a fun weekend! It looks so beautiful there. I have only been to Winston Salem for my bro in laws law school graduation. I would love to go back again!
As for muddy shoes, I had playgroup at my house yesterday. I made a huge mistake of letting the boys go outide. In the first 30 seconds they found the only patch of mud in our backyard, and the next thing I knew I was cleaning 18lbs of mud off 4 pairs of shoes. Nice.

Dani

And somehow they find the mud even if it is only a 1 inch spot of wet dirt, they are like magnets! The most fun Corben EVER had with mud was once I let him have a muddy day -- him, the hose and a dirt backyard. He was in heaven!!! :) (notice I said "once") ;)

Eliza

I love adventures... mine are ALWAYS unforgettable and I only enjoy the memories months later when I can laugh and stop yelling and complaining about it.

Cute kids lady!

Sherrie

How beautiful, I've never been to NC. My adventures these days consist of me making it through wal-mart without killing the kids and drawing the attention of too many onlookers!

Alli Easley

All I can say is, that cabin reminds me so much of the movie The Great Outdoors...John Candy anyone? Anyone?

Eliza

I'll take some candy if you're just throwing it out there.

Dani

He was great! I have to say, I did love "Uncle Buck," definitely a classic movie there (and yes, along w/Great Outdoors)

-KJ

Great Outdoors = big naked bear bum

Dani

I need to see that movie again so I can refresh my memory. Well, maybe it will have to wait until after all the favorite Christmas movies are watched! The list just keeps getting longer there! :)