...but there wasn't any hanging of an innocent man. Our last leg of our family trip to our beloved Disneyworld we stopped in Savannah, Georgia. We had orginially planned to drive to Charleston, SC but 6+ hours in the car after leaving Orlando didn't sound like the best idea (that and the fact that we didn't leave until 2pm). We stopped for lunch on the outskirts of Jacksonville and hoped that the restaurant we picked had free internet nearby.... We ended having to drive to a hotel down the street and parked in the parking lot while we searched for a hotel to stay at that night. I guess that's part of the fun, not making specific plans.
We found a reasonable hotel that was right in the historic district and plugged it into Lola (our Tomtom - thanks "RV") and we were off. As we got closer to Savannah and exits started flying past, it seemed that the hotel was still a good distance away. We got off at one of the last exits and again searched around for a wireless signal (4 hotels later ;) and found the correct address for the hotel in Savannah, and not in Hilton Head, SC (another 35 miles away!) Nice! :)
We had fun walking around the city that night and cruising the waterfront. The buildings are amazing and the history is very rich there. If you're looking for delicious homemade candies there are about 4 stores on the waterfront within 1/2 mile of each other that make amazing taffies and pecan pralines (and they offer many samples). The next morning, we wandered around the city, checked out Paula Deen's "street" with her store and restaurant, the historic cemetery and back down to the waterfront.
On the drive back home after leaving, I was reading through all the tourbooks that we found AFTER we wandered around the city and found some fun tours we'll have to try another time -- our first pick? The Haunted Savannah tour - a nighttime walking tour with a historic guide through old buildings/streets. Hopefully there'll be a next time - there's so much to see on the East coast!
Saturday, July 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








7 comments:
I love the moss!!! I am totally into lichens!!!!! I showed Christy your blog and I think I convinced her to go home and start one. We will see!!!!
Sweet - I hope you told her all about how you can get them printed and bound into books so it's just like a scrapbook/journal. [What am I thinking, I'm quite certain you did!]
The moss was crazy - it looks all soft and smooth, but it's actually kind of wiry and stiff -- it looks different at a distance.
Christy isn't a scrapbooker (I hope she doesn't get excommunicated! JK) I had to wheel her in by telling her she could write her weekly family letter on her blog and then not have to send it out to everyone in her family.
Saving time is how you have to suck Christy in.
Glad to see you are back online! It looks like you had a great trip!
Welcome back!
Glad to see you are back online! It looks like you had a great trip!
Welcome back!
OOOOH a night tour, what a cool idea. I'm too OCD to NOT plan every detail, I envy you. GA is one of those places I'm dying to visit. I haven't been able to justify it yet, but someday!
You guys are travelin' fools! What will you do next?? I've never been to Savannah, but it looks like fun. You just might inspire us to make the trip before we leave the east.
Post a Comment